- I've been playing the Story Mode, and it is really disappointing. It is a linear progression through a low number of stages, no choice of route, no weapon selection, no special stages with crazy rules, none of what made the story modes of earlier Soulcalibur games great. The story is told mostly through poorly made motion comics, with the odd in-engine cutscene thrown in. The cutscenes look good, mostly due to the excellent character models.
- The story is mostly centered around the new characters, Patroklos and Pyrrha, the offspring of Sophitia. They are both ruthless killers, Pyrrha seemingly without realizing it, and Patroklos is calling everyone around him 'malfested', and murdering them afterwards. He's saying 'malfested' so often, that it's really starting to annoy me. It's not a real word, and it makes him seem somewhat mentally challenged.
- Stop saying 'malfested'! It's not a word!
- And, randomly, some of the motion comics don't have sound at all. This mode is kind of broken.
- completed the game (Story).
How utterly uninteresting...
- completed the game with Cervantes on Normal (2/3) difficulty (Arcade (Asia route)).
Not too hard.
- completed the game with Yoshimitsu on Normal (2/3) difficulty (Arcade (Leaderboard route)).
- I just fought a girl in a panda costume wielding a large brightly coloured squid. That's Quick Battle for you. :D
- A positive note on SC5: the complement of single-player modes covers all of the different ways I like to play fighting games, a story mode to complete, an arcade mode that takes a chunk of time and ramps up the difficulty for each fight, and the Quick Battle mode in SC5 has the most casual option: a mode where you can play any number of matches against any difficulty you want, but there is still some kind of progression, in that all opponents have win/lose count and titles that you can collect.
- Played some more Quick Battle. I'm pretty decent with Raphael.
- completed the game with Yoshimitsu on Easy difficulty (Arcade).
I had to play it to remember, but this game is actually pretty good! The Story Mode made such a bad impression that I completely forgot how good a fighting game it is. There is not much in the way of single-player modes, but at least there is an Arcade mode and the Quick Battle mode, similar to the Arcade Battle mode in Tekken 5.
- completed the game with Ezio Auditore on Normal difficulty (Arcade).
Assassin's Creed dude is totally in this game.
- completed the game with Raphael on Normal difficulty using 0 continues (Arcade).
- completed the game with Raphael (Arcade (Leaderboard)).
- completed the game with Raphael (Arcade (Hard)).
This was very difficult, it took me about an hour, but landed me the 'War Veteran' achievement.
- completed the game with Siegfried (Arcade (Leaderboard)).
- Got the Mask Another's Memory achievement.
- I beat the leaderboard time of my 'rival', which seems to be a randomly selected Xbox Live user. I got the time 7:39:16.
- completed the game with Aeon using 0 continues (Arcade (Leaderboard)).
- completed the game with Natsu using 0 continues (Arcade (Leaderboard)).