games completed in 2018.
(multiple completions of the same game only count once.)
The 2014 PS4 version of Resident Evil is a HD remaster of the 2002 GameCube remake of the original 1996 Resident Evil for the PlayStation. Confused?
- A PS Plus freebie, I guess this is an OK way to experience the events of the original Resident Evil. When selecting a difficulty, I chose the default, which was the most difficult one. I hope it's not too hard. I also chose Jill Valentine, which is supposed to be the easier of the two characters.
- 'Enter the Survival Horror'. I guess that's where that term came from.
- According to the 'Now Playing' block on my PS4, I'm playing on 'Normal' difficulty.
- Argh, I died trying to stab a zombie with the Combat Knife and I hadn't saved yet. I should remember saving.
- I'm back in, playing with Jill on Easy difficulty (no. 2 option in the initial difficulty selection). My selection of difficulty was based on recommendations on Reddit.
- I started out overly conservative with Ink Ribbon and Green Herb usage, and died a couple of times. For the longest time, I couldn't find a room with an Item Box, which was frustrating because my inventory was full. I played for over an hour before I found it, right after I was almost a Jill Sandwich, a classic line from the original game that was changed for this version. The room with the Item Box has calming music with harp or guitar arpeggios in it, similarly to later games, but that doesn't seem to be in the original game.
- The herbs seem to have less interesting uses in this game, they pretty much just combine to save space, not to increase their combined effect. The exception is Red and Green Herbs combining to have the same effect as 3 x Green Herbs.
- I finished off some zombies by setting them on fire. I should take care not to stand in the fire. :) I went down into the disgusting basement, which reminds me of the basement in RE7. The elevator is without power, of course. I found a dog whistle and summoned a couple of zombie dogs, one of which had an 'Imitation of a key', that I swapped for the Armor Key. Now the game is opening up. I also encountered my first Crimson Head, an especially aggressive mutation of a normal zombie. I got the Grenade Launcher from (un)dead S.T.A.R.S member, Forest. Another member, Richard, needs serum, which is on the 1F west wing. Richard is in the south-east end of 2F. Closeby is a room with poison gas, don't know what to do about that.
- I found the score for Moonlight Sonata, but I don't know what to do with it. I had a great moment of panic, when four zombies suddenly burst through the windows. I ran and made my way around the area, and returned after having retrieved the shotgun, quickly dispatching the horde. I aimed down and shot the foot off a zombie, which made it fall down, always a cool feature in these games. I think I found the room where the Serum is supposed to be, but I wasn't able to find any. There was a room with a gross plant monster and a watering system. Don't know what to do with that. I used the Blue Gemstone in a tiger head on 1F west and got some shotgun shells. Also, I shot a bee with a pistol (which is pretty impressive) and got a Wind Crest. I also have a Death Mask, that has to be for the statues where I found the book that contained the first key.
- I should get the herbicide from 1F NW to kill the plant thing, and the Serum is still supposed to be in the room with the Item Box. I can't believe I missed it, I clicked on everything.
- I understand why I couldn't get the Serum: Richard is dead - apparently, there is a deadline for that guy. I poisoned the plant monster and got another Death Mask. I found the rest of the Moonlight Sonata and got the golden crest, which I used to open the clock, set it to 6:00 and got the Shield Key. I did the wrong thing at the light puzzle and almost got murdered by a murder of crows, because I was out of ammo for the pistol. I used the Shield Key to get to the attic, and was attacked by a giant snake. I fired my 6 shotgun shells at it, and then slowly stabbed it to death with my knife. I was poisoned, which turned out to be a story moment (I think), and woke up in the Serum room. I did the light puzzle correctly without the crows attacking me, and got the final Death Mask. I used all four masks to open the ominous coffin containing the 'Crimson Head Prototype 1' boss zombie. He died after a couple of shotgun shots and an tazer electrocution.
220 games in database, 59 completed (27%). Year range: 1971-2018, median: 1997.