games completed in 2017.
(multiple completions of the same game only count once.)
- On sale for 117 DKK with PS Plus (which was 60 DKK for a month), this was still cheap enough that I caved in and bought it. While it was downloading, I got to try out a few races with the Ford Escort Mk II and the Mini Cooper S. I was not ready for how unforgiving this game was, so I did a lot of deadly cliff dives and wrecked a lot of vehicles.
- This game is even better than I had hoped. I was worried about several things that could ruin my enjoymennt:
As it turns out, you do work towards gradually buying new cars and spend a good long time with each of them, even leveling them up by using them and unlocking upgrades. The career mode seems super simple: you chose a championship and try to advance your overall level to work towards winning. The game is very difficult, which, at least in the beginning, actually makes it more enjoyable: there are super dangerous mountain tracks with sheer cliffs on the side, and slick snow-covered death traps of ice, and you barely feel in control of your car, but with all driving assistance turned all the way up, I can play it and enjoy it, while still getting my pulse up because the game demands concentration unlike most others. Time will tell if I ever manage to win a championship, but for now, I'm content winning money, buying and upgrading cars, and coming in 4th or 5th in every race.
- Do you work towards unlocking cars and spending time with each car, or does the game provide cars for you? I play driving games to look at cool cars and exotic race tracks, so unlocking new cars and tracks is the key to keeping my motivation up.
- Is there a frustrating and confusing career mode? I really don't like the calendar-based confusing career mode of games like Project CARS. I prefer clear goals like 'win this championship on this set of tracks'.
- And the thing I was the most worried about: Is the game too difficult? I heard the reviewers talk about this game being a hardcore simulation, and I very aware that I'm not good at racing games, so this game could be too punishing to be enjoyable for me.
- This game is so good! I can feel myself improving a lot, daring to put the pedal slightly closer to the metal, when a small inaccuracy won't result in immediate death. I've enjoyed driving the beautiful Alpine a lot, and ended up finishing the OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP in 3rd position, a position I'm very happy with. The final event in Wales was a real nightmare of mud and confusing layout, but I managed to get through it. I could afford to buy one of my childhood favourite cars, the Lancia Stratos.
- Tonight I played with headphones, and I'm very impressed by the sound design, it's very detailed, realistic sounding, and at times, positively brutal. Driving through a puddle of water in Dirt Rally has more impact than getting blown up by a grenade in most other games.
223 games in database, 63 completed (28%). Year range: 1966-2018, median: 1993.