- This cute puzzle game, originally called Puyo Puyo and relesed in 1991 for the MSX, was ported to the Super Famicom in 1993 as Super Puyo Puyo, and then reskinned with Kirby and his cute little enemies and released in 1995 in the west.
- I just ordered 'Puyo Puyo Tetris' from playasia.com (it is not out in Europe or the U.S. yet), and I wanted to brush up on my Puyo Puyo skills. This is the only hardware copy og Puyo Puyo I own, so Kirby's Avalanche is is. I'm pretty awful at it, but getting better... I've reached Normal stage 4, the Broom Hatter, which seems to be the starting point if you play on Hard difficulty.
- There are 13 stages total.
- Completed stage 6/13. It gets *fast*. I need to practice more.
- Completed stage 8/13, which means I'm through all the hard levels. The 'Final' 5 levels are crazy. I'm up against Kirby boss characters, the first being Heavy Mole.
- completed the game (COMPETITION (EASY)).
- I found a nice heuristic that often allows me to get lucky and make some serious combos. I learned it from watching the AI play. The system is as simple as: divide the colors into two tall stacks in each side of the screen, with as few colors as possible in each stack, e.g. 2-3 colors on the left, 2-3 colors on the right, everything that doesn't fit in the middle.