OCDgamer.dk: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
This third 3D Metal Gear Solid game takes place during the Cold War, and our hero, Snake, is dropped in the Soviet Union to stop the deployment of the Shagohod, the first Metal Gear mecha. Snake starts the game with a knife and nothing much besides. He must survive in the forest and defeat enemy forces using stealth. And not just stealth like in the other Metal Gear Solid games, but he has to match his camouflage and face paint to match his surroundings, he must subsist on the animals he can kill. The stealth mechanics of this game are absolutely awesome. You can lie in the grass a few metres from an unsuspecting guard, wait for him to pass you, sneak up on him and slice his throat, or alternatively, shoot him with a tranquilizer dart. The graphics is beautiful and the overall forest illusion is most convincing. Also, the Cold War technology works very well, you feel having cutting-edge technology, while still feeling a bit nostalgic about it. The controls are hard to master without being annoying, and when you become good, you are rewarded with excellent control over Snake.
Overall, the game is almost perfect and very entertaining, and I will recommend this game wholeheartedly to anyone who likes stealth games.
The final battle with 'The Boss' was the only one to give a bit of trouble, it took me a few tries to figure out how to use the CQC counter-attack: to press and hold ○ right after the ! mark appears above snake's head (when The Boss grabs his arm). Also, peaking up when in hiding is very useful. You do this by pressing L2+R2 when in first-person mode (R1).
After completing the game, you inherit The Patriot, a assault pistol, with a ∞-shaped magazine :). Oh what fun it is to storm the first level again with this monstrous weapon. DIE!
- Thanks to Yngve for lending me this game.
- completed the game on Normal difficulty.
- 2015-09-23: My memory card says I played MGS3 for 54 hours. Damn.
- In a weak moment this morning, I decided I needed to have this on my shelf, so I ordered a copy from CDON at a reasonable price of 99 DKK. I also accidentally bought a copy of Persona 4 for some reason.
- Rewatching the BRIEFING FILES is fun, I still remember a lot of the details.
- There is a DUEL mode where you can retry boss fights for points.
- Completed level 1/7 in SNAKE VS MONKEY. This is a pretty elaborate tie-in with Ape Escape. It was tricky to get used to the old MGS controls again, but it's still pretty playable.