OCDgamer.dk: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
- Started playing with Nabaz. I captured my first Sectoid and a Thin Man, and started to interrogate them...
- Captured my first Outsider. As this game moves along, It becomes more and more enojoyable...
- Trying to pick up my one-year-old savegame of XCOM. I'm pretty comfortable with the missions themselves, but the strategic stuff is a bit overwhelming, and I'm trying not to mess up too much.
- A few tips I've picked up from FAQS:
- Priority Missions can be postponed indefinitely. They move the story forward, and apparently you can level up your technology and soldiers before proceeding.
- The game has 6 Priority Missions.
- Ignoring a Terror Mission will cause the terrorized country to leave the XCOM project.
- Panic levels:
- Building a satellite over a nation reduce panic by 2.
- Completing Terror Missions reduce panic in the terrorized nation by 2.
- Completing UFO Landing or Crash Missions reduce panic in the target nation by 2.
- Certain Priority Missions will reduce panic in all countries by 2.
- Completed my first Terror Mission. Encountered Chryssalids for the first time. They cannot be stunned. It reduced panic in terrorized country by 2 and decreased across the continent.
- 'Operation Morbid Stallion'? The hell?
- My game seem to be going OK. I'm not having too much trouble with the combat. I have recently encountered and defeated Mutons, Drones, and a Cyberdisc. and the research and production are moving along well. I did lose Australia from the project because I didn't understand the Council deadlines. I have been postponing the Assault the Alien Base mission for a while now, maybe it's time to try it soon.
- Oh crap, the Council Reports are just monthly. That was simple.
- OK, I completed some missions, developed Titan Armour and a S.H.I.V. robotic unit. Panic levels are dangerously high, so I'm going for the Priority Mission 'Alien Base Assault' now.
- Ah, this is great. I completed the Alien Base mission, and finished research on the Plasma Sniper Rifle. Life is good in XCOM.
- I attacked a large UFO, and ended up selling stuff and getting a lot of money. Very nice. I got enough to build 3 new satelites, which should getting even more money. I have Titan Armour and Plasma Rifles, Plasma Sniper Rifles, and the Alloy Cannon (shotgun).
- My game is going pretty well, I have a lot of new toys: the Heavy Plasma, the flight-enabled Archangel Armour, and the awesome Firestorm fighter craft. My soldiers are performing impressively; my newest strategy involves putting rookies in pink armour and sending them on suicide runs to flush out enemies. One soldier, Yong Sun Yoon, keeps doing death-defying acts and coming back alive. He is fast becoming my favourite assault dude.
- Here is the current plan:
- Finish building a Firestorm - a faster Interceptor.
- Build a Hyperwave Relay factility, which should reveal the Overseer UFO type.
- Take down an Overseer and defeat the Ethereal.
- Research Ethereal corpse and build a Mind Shield. Also, I need to kill more Ethereals to build one.
- Research the Ethereal Device.
- Did a couple of missions. Everything is going according to plan. The death rate of my rookies is through the roof.
- Nabaz, Thomas, and I just played 'XCOM: The Board Game', a weird hybrid game where real-time actions are controlled from an touch device app accompanying an standard board game. We played the tutorial, and then proceeded to the beat the game on Easy difficulty. Nabaz played the top-level roles of Central Officer and Commander, Thomas was the Chief Scientist, and I was the Squad Leader, commanding the troops. We started reading the rules at around 22:00 yesterday evening, and the second game was finished at around 6:30 in the morning. The game is cool, the strategic arguments between the different roles and figuring out a common strategy was the real fun of the game; we all started out as egotistical assholes, but the team ended up being a well-oiled machine.
- I should probably try to complete this before the sequel comes out.
- I have sold §607 worth of stuff on the Gray Market after looking it up on ufopaedia.org.
- Guile just shot 3 enemies and reloaded in the same turn, saving the whole team! In the Zone is the best ability.
- I lost a couple of guys on a difficult Alien Battleship crash site mission, but none that I really care about, and I got a live Berserker and got a hold of some artifacts enabling research into Fusion tech.
- While Thomas J is playing Bloodborne on the TV, I connected my monitor to the 360 and resumed my XCOM game. Having Thomas around to ask strategic questions is helpful. I now have a Firestorm, a Hyperwave Relay facility, defeated an Overser, and done some research into the Ethereals. I haven't built a Mind Shield yet, and has postponed researching the Ethereal Device for now.
- Everything is going pretty much perfect during my missions now. Maybe I should build the last equipment I'm missing, make a save, and try researching the Ethereal Device?
- OK, I'll try it. My current save is '11/1/2016 - 2:12'. Now I'm going straight for the end game.
- Game froze.
- I used to worry a lot about panic levels in the different countries. Now, I have satellites in every country and 1 or 2 panic level. I lost Australia, but otherwise, everything seems calm.
- Got the Hunter/Killer achievement.
- Shot down one of each alien craft.
- Got the Pale Horse achievement.
- I killed 500 aliens. I'm very proud.
- OK, new save before building Gollop Chamber: '24/1/2016 - 2:22'.
- 'We have no soldier capable of using the device!'? Hmm... what to do now?
- Got the The Volunteer achievement.
- I put the Psi Armor on my favorite sniper, Guile, and now I'm commencing the Temple Ship Assault with my best soldiers.
- completed the game on Normal difficulty.
Guile shot the Uber Ethereal two times in his dumb head and saved the planet. I got a score of 4668, won 45/45 battles, killed 462 aliens, and lost 19 soldiers.
- I completed my first XCOM game. Been working on that for 22 years. :)