- Played this a bit two years ago. I thought it was h.a.r.d. back then, but since then I've completed God of War II (God Mode), God of War (Spartan), Onimusha 2 (Normal), Onimusha 3 (Normal), Devil May Cry 4 (Devil Hunter), Ninja Gaiden II (Warrior), God of War: Chains of Olympus (Spartan), Batman: Arkham Asylum (Normal), Bayonetta (Normal), X-Men Origins: Wolverine (Normal), and Darksiders (Apocalyptic), so I've sort of got my skills up for this one. I absolutely love the DMC style and universe, the over-the-top acting and the sheer crazyness of everything that happens is intoxicating.
- Completed missions 1-4/20. Defeated both Cerberus and the worm dude in the second attempt. I'm using Gold Orb mode, the only sensible choice, as it gives you infinite continues which should save a lot of frustration.
- Completed mission 6/20. This is a fun game to come back to. The twin bosses of mission 5 are fun to fight, and turn into a weapon, which is a great way to create an interesting item. After having played the Souls games and Bloodborne, I'm a bit frustrated with the camera. In DmC, you either have fixed camera angles or an incredibly slow camera rotation, none of which help you get an overview of the enemies.
- Bayonetta seems very closely related to the Devil May Cry series. The combo-based combat, air combos, weak firearms and strong melee weapons, weirdly high double jump, sassy protagonist. I even found a stripper pole that Dante can swing from.
- This series starting out as a Resident Evil sequel also seems fairly obvious in the camera angles and classic put-thing-into-other-thing item puzzles.
- Completed mission 7/20. I pretty quickly picked up the timing in Vergils attacks in the boss fight between the two angry teenagers, and beat him almost without taking damage. The cutscene after the fight is fantastic. It has Dante running down the side of a tower, shooting demons, slicing through them with his sword, and attaining impossible speeds, burning the air around him and the sword, and then - without any warning - he is swallowed by a giant whale. Air-whale. I am without words.
- Completed mission 8/20 that took place inside the evil air-whale. I've reached the vampire lady boss fight.
- Completed mission 9/20. Vampire lady Nevan is dead and turned into a demonic guitar, which Dante started playing in an impromptu live industrial metal performance, and then uses as a weapon. Again, no words.
- Completed mission 11/20. The boss was Beowulf himself, not the legendary hero, but a giant black horned cat thing. It was a fun boss fight, requiring some weird combinations of dodges and jumps.
- Mission 12 has you doing a mad dash, backtracking through the areas while losing health. It was all going great until I reached the room with giant gears, where you have to do 3D platforming with a fixed camera onto a platform that is barely visible from the camera perspective. Annoying.
- Good checkpointing, though. I figured I had to do the run again.
- The only character I can stand in this game is Jester, the butt-slapping Joker-lookalike. He is charmingly voiced by Adam D. Clark and his animation is great. He would be a wonderful Joker if Mark Hamill wants a year off at some point.
- Completed mission 12/20. The chariot boss wasn't hard.
- Completed mission 13/20. Vergil kept attacking, jumping, and doing a dive attack, which I kept dodging and punishing with 3 combos. When he Devil Triggered, I stayed away from him and shot him once in a while with the Spiral heavy gun.
- Completed mission 15/20. Oh, Giant Gear Room, if I never see you again, it will be too soon. On top of the 3D platforming on rotating, moving, damage-dealing platforms with a fixed camera pointing the wrong way, you have to defend yourself against multiple flying enemies while slowly working an apparatus that change to where an exit leads. And the screen shakes. This is video game hell, 2005-style.
- Cool cutscene with Arkham ascending to ... Sky-Hell?
- Completed mission 17/20. Doppelganger didn't like the light.
- Completed mission 18/20. Boss rush. I had to form a circle of the colored gems, and did the smallest one by defeating 3 bosses.
- Completed mission 19/20. The Arkham boss fight was disappointing. Why did he turn into electric eels?
- 'Mary died a long time ago, my name is Lady. Goodbye Father.' ... 'My name is Lady'. What the hell. :)
- completed the game on Normal difficulty.
The final Vergil boss fight was made trivial by using a couple of items.
- I got mostly B rankings. 'Congratulations! I do hate being considered normal...'