Soma tells a fascinating science fiction story through a lens of horror reminiscent of Lovecrafts 'The Colour Out of Space' or even 'Herbert West - Reanimator'. The game is beautifully rendered, the music and sound are classy and detailed, and the level design takes you by the hand and leads you around with care. The gameplay is extremely simple to the point of non-existence, which allows you to just immerse yourself in the story and environment.
- Thanks to Mikkel G for being very insistent that I play this
- Martin S and I started playing SOMA tonight. It's a great experience, very atmospheric, excellent sound and music, and a unique and fascinating story.
- Martin has left. I don't know that I can stop now.
- I had to keep playing. This is fantastic. The game is terrifying both in detail and in its general ideas. The dialogue is natural and well acted, especially Catherine. The music is composed by Mikko Tarmia, who also did Amnesia. It creates an engulfing atmosphere with subtle synth chords, reminiscent of 70s and 80s science fiction such as Alien.
- I have reached Omicron. I must sleep now.
- Thomas and I watched Yngve play through the early parts of the game.
- completed the game.
Soma is a fantastic game. It feels so good to play a game that tells an interesting story without dumbing it down. The atmosphere was dense and when I was in danger, the dread was real and intense.
- The first game completed in 2016 is now one of my favourite games of 2015. Great work, Frictional Games.
- I restored the save game from the last time Martin and I played and we resumed the game. Still great, even the second time around.
- Completed the game again together with Martin. I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying this the second time around. I was giddy with excitement to re-enter the Cave of Crabs, and had a few genuine scares when surprised by some WOA animated corpse freaks. The ending would have been better if the parts were flipped around, I think. The post-credits sequence is a bit too cute for my taste. Note that this was a fork of my previous game, so I didn't exactly complete the whole game, only the later half, so this shouldn't count as a full completion.