- Every time I see a screenshot from an Ace Combat game, I get the urge to play it. I downloaded a demo of AC6, but can't seem to buy it on Xbox Live. The demo plays well, the game seem to be the same mindless combat as Assault Horizon, but it sure is graphically impressive for a 2007 game. The camera movement, the shading, and the particle effects are all pretty great.
- I shot down a bunch of MIGs and flew under an iconic red bridge with an F-16, so I basically feel like 1988 again.
- Bought it on amazon.co.uk used for 55 DKK.
- Completed mission 2/15. This game looks pretty amazing, mostly due to the incredibly detailed jets. I have only flown the F-16C so far, and it looks great, especially when the afterburner is on. I initially had problems figuring out which enemy planes were the bombers I had to focus on. Also, I have had a little bit of trouble with the lock-on mechanic. It seems that I sometimes is unable to lock on to an enemy plane, that ought to be within range.
- I played some tutorials and learned about wingmen: D-pad up to order an attack on target, D-pad down to make the wingman defend your plane. Another feature is ESM, special planes and ships that boost the efficiency of your missiles when you're in their range. The current ESM level is shown on the HUD.
- A thing that confused me about the radar: Enemy targets are shown as *green* arrows.
- The 3D map replay of the missions is mesmerizing. It reminds me of Homeworld 2.
- Oh, and the mechanic where your missiles are more effective when fired at a target directly in front of your plane (when the 'SHOOT' text appears on the HUD) seems very important.
- Completed mission 3/15. These ground attack missions remind me of playing Combat Air Patrol on the Amiga.