games completed in 2013.
(multiple completions of the same game only count once.)
- schmid (2014) ........................ 7086
- schmid (2013) ........................ 5553
- schmid (2018) ........................ 5212
- schmid (2013) ........................ 4432
- schmid (2018) ........................ 4291
- schmid (2013) ........................ 3121
- schmid (2013) ........................ 3105
- schmid (2013) ........................ 2501
- schmid (2013) ........................ 2077
- schmid (2014) ........................ 1811
Brogue, or Brians' Rogue, named after its creator, Brian Walker, is a modern descendant of Rogue, easy and casual to play, with a lot of cool modern features. It is similar to Rogue in that there are no character classes, no city, and scoring is normally based simply on gold.
- I'm playing Brogue for the first time on Nabaz' mac. I think he fell asleep. This game is pretty cool.
- I released a helper monkey and it works for me now. Awesome.
- I discovered a Goblin hideout, with lava, a lightning sentry totem, and an Ogre held captive by the Goblins. I freed it, and now I have a helper Ogre.
- Got the score 867.
Euw, on level 6 there was an Acid Mound, which I didn't want to fight, but I was up against the wall, so I turned to the highly unreliable tactic of using a staff of Polymorphism. The Acid Mound turned into a Centaur, which was even worse. I then proceeded to turn the Centaur into a Black Jelly, which also seems fairly dangerous but slow, so I used a Haste Charm and ran for it. I ran into a dead end and it got me.
- There was a locked door to a treasure room, and I found the key, but it was in a cage. The cage could be opened by a pressure plate, which was surrounded by a chasm. The pressure plate was out of reach, but I threw an item onto it, opening the cage. That is pretty cool.
- Got the score 757.
... And I was killed on level 4 by a Toad.
- Got the score 1459.
Killed by a Vampire Bat on level 6. So, the only way to raise your strength / life is to drink potions of strength / life. No leveling in Brogue.
- Got the score 1748.
Killed by a Pink Jelly on level 7.
- Got the score 4432.
A great run, my stealthy dude survived by +3 axe-murdering dungeon dwellers in their sleep. And tonight I killed my first Troll, and I'm very proud of it.
- I went into a small room and read an unidentified scroll. Turned out to be a scroll of Summon Monsters, and suddenly I was being simultaneously punched, stabbed, and robbed by monkeys, rats, and goblins. It was too much to handle, so I quickly downed a random potion, which turned out to be a Potion of Confusion. Now everybody in the room were confused, and started randomly punching and biting each other until all that was left was me and the monkey. Monkey ended up with a Dart in the back of his head.
- Got the score 3121.
This was a great game, I had two Ogres doing my bidding, murdering all opposition around me, but in the end I was defeated by a lethal Spider-Centipede combo, the Spider shot its web from across a lake, and I was completely stuck, while the Centipede weakened me and killed me.
- Wauw, I wast just killed on level 1 by a rat. In my defense, I was paralyzed, but that's still a weak way to go.
- Got the score 5553.
With Jeppe watching and helping, I managed to get further than ever before. An epic game with many awesome moments of sneaking past sleeping Spiders, zapping Will-of-the-Wisps from across the map, and setting Trolls on fire.
- I just killed a Goblin, a Goblin Mystic, a Jackal, and 4 Kobolds with one shot of my (very) enchanted Staff of Lightning. Pretty rad.
- Dammit, I had everything, but then an Arrow Turret / Paralysis Gas trap combination killed me in one round. That's messed up.
- Got the score 2077.
I played a custom game with seed 1 (Ctrl+N at the title screen). A very interesting game, where my many staves, wands, and charms defined my otherwise weak character as a Pyromancer/Enchanter. I was wandering dungeon level 7 and 8 with two Dominated Goblin Conjurers, summoning hordes of Spectral Swords at enemies. I Transmuted a Jelly into a Vampire, but my desire to Dominate it was unsuccesful. It turns out Pyromancy and Domination don't go that well together; the Vampire burned to death immediately after becoming my ally. Shortly after I was overwhelmed by Jellys, panicked and drank a Potion of Descent, killing myself in the fall.
- Until now, I've been playing version 1.7.2. I just learned that 1.7.3 is out. Exciting.
- Got the score 2501.
My first game of 1.7.3. At one point, I had two Ogres hunting me; I had a Broadsword, but I was far too weak to wield it. I was up against a wall and a lava pit, but quickly drank a Potion of Strength and used 4 Scrolls of Enchantment on the Sword. After that, I cut down the Ogres with a couple of quick slashes. I ended up fleeing from an Acid Mound that I didn't want to attack, degrading my sword in the process, and ran into a small army of Goblins that ended my career as a Warrior.
- Dungeon seed 28976849 is pretty nice with the loot.
- Protection Charms seem to work well against Centipedes, their strength-sapping attack doesn't seem to go through the shield. I reached dungeon level 9, and was attacked by a horrible Bog Monster. I threw an unknown cursed potion at it, and it turned out to be a Potion of Descent. Now the Bog Monster is lying helplessly on the dry floor of dungeon level 10. Vengeance shall be mine.
- Got the score 3105.
Nooo, I was defeated by a band of 3 Ogres and an Ogre Shaman.
- Hmm... this seed 3755 8916 has a lot of good stuff.
- Got the score 631.
Damn, drank a Potion of Incineration in a grassy area and burned to death. And I had so much stuff!
- Got the score 1099.
Today I have played Brogue with the Oryx Tiles. It looks great, and still more or less retains the style of the original character set. Seed 3764 5044 was very cool, I had a lot of cool stuff, including a +1 Sword of Force, a Staff of Firebolt, and more armor than I could carry. Unfortunately, due a sequence of bad decisions, I ended up dying from a fall on dungeon level 7.
- The second playthough of seed 3764 5044 is going better: 'You hit the troll; you launch the troll backward with the force of your blow. The troll dies on impact with a stone wall.' That's what I like to hear.
- Got the score 7086.
Gaaah! I was rolling around with my Troll ally, murdering Ogres left and right with my +5 Sword of Force and Staves of Firebolt, but fell victim to a room on dungeon level 15 with a couple of turrets. Lame! I'll have to watch out for those the next time.
- Aha! In dungeon 38943456, me and my monkey entered an Item Library containing a Staff of Lightning and a Wand of Empowerment. I realized that I could use the Wand on my monkey immediately, put it back, and take the Staff of Lightning.
- My dude was running around with a posse of 2 Monkeys and a Goblin, entered an Item Library and Empowered a Monkey, and then duplicated it with a Wand of Plenty. Still, even with 3 Monkeys and a Goblin, I was still killed by a lowly Acid Blob. Another observation: 10/12 scrolls have positive effects, 9/12 staffs, 5/9 wands, and half of the potions are positive. It's pretty safe to use scrolls and staffs, and 50-50 to use wands and potions.
- Wards on the floor? Interesting. This 1.7.4 seems to have a few neat new things in it.
- Got the score 328.
I had so much. I had two monkeys, one stronger than the other due to me 'borrowing' a Wand of Empowerment from an Item Library. I had a Ring of Regeneration, 3 Scrolls of Enchanment, but then, after being overwhelmed by a myriad of damn Pink Jellies on depth 4, I Teleported away, only to run into 3 Jackals, who defeated me.
- Got the score 1299.
Yep, drinking Potions of Incineration is bad for you.
- One of my new favorite things: usings Wands of Negation on Goblin Conjurers, turning them into wildly gesturing regular Goblins.
- Wands of Negation also turn the horribly multiplying Pink Jellies into useless blobs.
- Ah, my Mage has acquired an enchanted Rapier. The Lunge Attack makes combat seem way more tactially interesting.
- My Mage waited outside a room where four Goblins were exiting one by one, every one of them was stabbed to death by a single 'vicious lunge attack'.
- Dammit! I unknowningly read a Scroll of Summoning on Depth 7, and summoned a particularly nasty quartet consisting of two Vampire Bats, a strength-draining Centipede, and an item-destroying Acid Mound. Two turns later, I'm dead.
- There was a key hidden behind a wooden barricade. I had the awesome idea of using a Fire Trap to set myself on fire an then run over to the barricade. 'Killed by a violent explosion'.
- I must remember to equip the weapon I want to keep when trying out unidentified scrolls, as it could be a Scroll of Protect Weapon.
- Hallucinations give rise to hilarious log messages: 'You dispatched the Warden of Yendor, catching it unware.'
- Oh man, the whip. It has reach like a gun.
- Wand of Negation is fun, I'm turning Hallucination-inducing Toads into just toads, and Pink Bloats into ... balloons.
- Wands can only be reached by enchanting them, apparently. I guess I should use them sparingly.
- Got the score 1149.
I was trapped in a dead end with a bunch of Spectral Blades stabbing me to death, and ended up taking the coward's way out by drinking a Potion of Descent and falling to my death.
- Got the score 1370.
My fear of Acid Mounds drove me into a dead end with a Goblin Conjurer chasing me down and murdering me.
- Got the score 162.
Note to self: don't drink potions at low health. They may contain caustic gas.
- Got the score 183.
Cornered by 16 Pink Jellies on depth 3.
- Got the score 882.
I couldnt' sleep, so I played some Brogue.
- Got the score 4291.
I reached depth 11 but was trapped in a horrible combination of confusion and caustic gas.
- Got the score 5212.
First, a series of horrible deaths in quick succession. After that, an awesome run with a Runic Spear, a confused Ogre that fell off a cliff, and the odd couple of the Priestess and the Wraith...
- No good runs tonight. The best run was a conjurer with a Staff of Conjuration and a Ring of Wisdom, but he was out of charges when the 3rd Vampire Bat showed up. Also, I must remember to equip the best weapon and armor I have when reading random scrolls, in case it's a protection scroll.
222 games in database, 79 completed (36%). Year range: 1979-2013, median: 1985.