games completed in 1998.
(multiple completions of the same game only count once.)
- completed the game.
- Tenchu grabbed me completely when I first saw it: the atmospheric graphics, the slow-paced yet intense gameplay with brutally satisfying stealth kills, the colorful characters, and the absolutely beautiful soundtrack by Noriyuki Asakura.
- So this was the point where I got weird about Tenchu and found the original Japanese release, 'Rittai Ninja Katsugeki: Tenchu'. I completed the first mission, and punished The Evil Merchant. It was very similar to the US and European version, except I couldn't do the back roll turn.
- I found and completed the Tenchu Demo. I punished the evil merchant, now with reversed crouched rotation controls. :)
- I streamed playing Training and Level 1 using Mednafen to YouTube, but destroyed the recording by accidentally pressing the Xbox Guide Button and launching the stupid Steam Big Picture mode.
- A teaser trailer for the mysterious new From Software game was speculated to be a new Tenchu game. I would love that more than anything, but I don't think it's realistic. For now, I jumped back into the original, playing it from the beginning. The stealth gameplay and items are still satisfying, although the movement and combat can be frustrating at times. I love the graphics and music - Acquire did a great job despite the limitations of the platform.
- I completed TRAINING and levels 1-3, recording the whole thing with OBS, taking care to disabled Steam before playing. :)
- I completed missions 4-5. The finance minister commits honorable suicide, Rikimaru cuts his head off, and then promises him that he will inform Lord Gohda of his death. In that order.
- I completed missions 6-7. The Manji Cult level (mission 6) was always one of my favourites, due to the spooky atmosphere, strange and frightening Manji cultists, and most of all, Noriyuki Asakura's beautiful soundtrack.
- Mission 8 is a nice trip to pick up a flower, followed by mission 9, where I fought Onikage. It was a messy fight on a rooftop, but I got lucky and defeated him.
- completed the game with Rikimaru (Mednafen).
I completed Mission 10 on my second try, the first one failing due to Onikage kicking me into a corner. The boss fights are easier than I remembered, I guess all the Dark Souls stuff has improved my third person melee skills.
20 games in database, 7 completed (35%). Year range: 1991-1998, median: 1998.